18 reasons to be grateful
I beg your indulgence for this blog. It’s my annual anniversary musings as Nobull Comms reaches its 18th Birthday. With my daughter now at university and life changing, it has made me think about my time at Nobull and appreciate what it has enabled me to do as a business owner, marketeer and Mum. So here are my 18 reasons to be grateful to Nobull…
- I have been able to go my daughter’s plays, school events, shows and when she was little, to pick her up from school on a Friday afternoon. It also enabled me to inspire her – Lillie is now reading marketing at Sheffield Hallam
- I have been able to be creative every day. The opportunity to keep my braincells thriving through the work that I do daily continues to stimulate me and make me happy!
- I’ve been able to meet and work with amazing people over the years. In the main my clients are and have been fabulous people. I learn from them always, they inspire me, make me laugh and make me think. It has been a privilege to work with them over the past 18 years. A special mention at this point for Alison Baines, who is my longest standing Client and is talented, dedicated, funny and an all-round fabulous woman.
- I have a business partner (Steve Carman) who has my back and makes me laugh – no mean feat after 18 years together! We’ve actually known each other for nearly 30 years!!
- I have had Kally in my life for 13 years – my amazing right hand woman. Kally is definitely Queen of Nobull! She is funny (best laugh in the world), dedicated, loyal and beautiful inside and out. She also still looks about 15!
- I have made lifelong friends – ex Nobull family who have continued to occupy a space in my heart. We have been fortunate to have wonderful people working with us throughout the years, however some have made a lasting impression on me: Vic Newlands (Victoire), Jo Davies (Jowey), Claire Fryer (Clairini - a Nobull Original), Nicki Flintham (Nukes), Charli Okey (the most glamorous woman on the planet alongside Claire), Liv Sealy, Lynn Blackburn (Lynneth – also my sister), Bobbie O’Sullivan (Boobs), Jo Paish (Jooooooow), Melanie Blanksby (Eddie/Patsy), Carly Chell (Orville) ….I could go on, but these are extra special people in the history of Nobull.
- I have met fabulous women who inspire me: Liz Stout (Stouty), Karen Nunn, Kirsteen Robertson, Lisa Ryan, Ceri Chard, Laura Burgess, Gaby O’Leary ….to name just a few.
- I have learned something new every week and sometimes every day. I love the fact that with every new campaign, person, client, day, I have had the opportunity to find out something new, try something different, be brave, be surprised….
- I’ve developed a ‘you just get what I mean’ connection with Simon Clay, my long-term design partner in crime. He just manages to create what I have in my head – only it’s 100 times better than it was in my brain. He also loves to play air guitar, sing and drum along to the music we play in the office
- I have a home and a car – both may be small and getting a bit raggedy around the edges – but they are still mine and I’m grateful for that.
- I’ve had ammmaaaaaazzzzzing nights out with the Nobull crew and clients. My current favourite is Tom Kerridge’s The Shed in Marlow – fabulous!
- I get to spend time each month with our visiting angel, otherwise known as Denise, Nobull’s longest perk and the most magical person I’ve ever met.
- My Nobull family have quietly supported me and been my rock when times have been bad and sad. When Lillie and I lost two important men in our lives, my Nobull family closed ranks, didn’t make a fuss, but kept the tea, sympathy and hugs coming in abundance. I don’t often get the chance to thank them all for that, but I am so grateful.
- I get to showcase and show off brands that I love. I’m a hosiery afficianado thanks to Charnos Hosiery, I have better skin than 10 years ago thanks to Skin Doctors, I can totally indulge my ‘addiction’ to lip balm thanks to Lypsyl, I’m healthier than ever because of Bioglan and my house smells amazing thanks to Tincture. These are just the tip of the iceberg – I have been fortunate that all the brands I work on I believe in.
- By far and above the best times I’ve had at Nobull have centred around events. I am grateful to Peugeot (Andrew, Kevin and Janet), Nissan and Volvo in particular for enabling me and the Nobull team to create, organise and deliver some fantastic car launches. Some have pushed the boundaries and made me fear for my sanity, but all have been great to work on. They also introduced me to what is now termed the ‘event diet’ – essentially you are so lacking in food, sleep and relaxation that you burn off calories like they are going out of fashion. My record was dropping one stone in five days!
- I have a beautiful view from the office window, a teapot, biscuits galore and a park on the doorstep – what’s not to love about Nobull HQ.
- I get to dance about, sing and laugh. I’ve also been known to throw a cartwheel, do a headstand and practice my one-handed juggling. No-one bats an eyelid, it’s just who I am and I love the fact that Nobull family are accepted for who they truly are.
- Nobull has kept me positive, happy and youthful in my approach to life. I walk through the door and pretty much every day feel great. I will be greeted with music, hello’s, tea on my desk and a funny story – apart from on Monday mornings – Nobullites are not great on a Monday before 10am. Nobull I thank you. Happy Birthday – you can now legally go and get drunk at the pub!